Healthy Brains

1. The first thought that pops in my mind is the cognitive domain. Next, the 0-3 window where the child’s brain has the most plasticity. Around the 1970’s a great focus began on the study of the brain. If teachers have knowledge of the brain, they can create better environments for children to succeed. Listening to Mozart makes babies smarter and we only use 10% of our brains our myths. Screaming at babies can lead to smaller brains and fosters fear.

2. I think the advice of being present is the foundation which all the 4 components sit on. I think it should be the first thing we check when trying to overcome any challenge. The next component is being attuned, which is well connected with being present. Some of the ways babies communicate is reading reactions or cues; they’ll look to our face for information.

3. When I’m in the classroom I will be present and continue to bring my mind back to the moment, so I don’t miss any cues from the baby. When I hear a baby or child get hurt, I am going to respond not react by soothing the baby while regulating my own self. When they are in a critical situation, I will do everything I can to help the children feel safe. I will have face to face meaningful interactions to catch the baby while they are being present minded. The visual of a back-and-forth dance with the baby is something I’m going to keep in my mind when engaging with babies.

4. I am a person who likes to know the origins and sources of knowledge. I’m glad there is a section that mentions resources. In the description section a time breakdown of the video is available, which is helpful when watching. Often times after a video your left thinking “what’s next?” But not here they have a section titled Helpful Next Steps. If one were interested, on the side is more videos to help support.